Before you install Pure & Simple, it’s important to know a few things before you begin.
- With this theme, you get a lot of files and folders within the downloaded package that may seem confusing as to what each one is for. I recommend taking some time to explore the contents so that you will have an idea of what is included.
- We are also on the assumption that you have some basic understanding of how WordPress works. However, if you are new to WordPress, we recommend you check out wordpress.org for documentation for installing and using WordPress. You may also want to consider checking out www.wp101.com for video tutorials about how to use WordPress. If you need help with understnading the basics of HTML and CSS, you will want to bookmark www.w3schools.com as a reference.
- Widget CSS Classes – Gives you the ability to take advantage of widget styling
- Jetpack – Gives you a collection of plugins rolled into one package with features you will find very useful
- Support for this theme includes helping you with features and functions of the theme, bugs you may find, or if you need to know where specific code is. What is not included, are tutorials to teach HTML or CSS.
- Updates are announced from the “Updates” section of our website, but are also posted on our social media pages: Twitter, Facebook, and Google+
Plugins are NOT included with this theme. We do not include these because not everyone wants to use the same plugins and may have their own choices. Downloading plugins as you need them will also assure that you have the most recent version. This theme does use plugins, but they are considered to be optional. However, there are a few features with this theme that requires at least a couple types of plugins should you decided to use them:
If you believe you will be making any modifications to the core files of this theme, whether now or later in time, WordPress recommends you install a Child Theme which lets you make changes while maintaining the ability to keep your theme (the Parent Theme) updated without losing your changes. You can read more about child themes here:
Pure & Simple helps you out by giving you a premade child theme that you can install. This is found in the original downloaded package with an installable preferential-child.zip theme file. You would simply install this like any other theme, then activate it. It’s important to know that before you do this, make sure that the parent theme (Pure & Simple) is installed. It’s also important that you decide if you want to use this before you start making your site because if you use the child theme after you already did your widgets, menus, and theme options, you will need to redo them.
NOTE: More tutorials will be written over the next few days, starting Saturday, October 11th.