It must have been a plugin; I did post on the forums which I cringe at the idea of posting in because so many of the responses so often sarcastic, demoralizing, militant about posting etiquette, etc… ) and someone suggested that I deactivate all the plugins and then see if the issue was fixed, and if so reactivate them one by one.
I’d already tried that but because some of the theme’s special features are dependent on plugins, I ended up with NO content whatsoever. Anyway I reactivated everything I’d deactivated and voila .. the issue appears to be fixed. Just thought I would
update you. thanks for your help