A question about working with a Child Theme

Home Forums WordPress Themes – Premium Encounters A question about working with a Child Theme

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I am using the Encounters Child Theme for my website but I need to make some changes to the style.css file. When I upload the new version of the style file to my website, would I put this in the Encounters folder or the Encounters Child folder?

Yesterday I was doing this but there were some problems and then the template options for pages disappeared.

The path I am following is:
    ->public_html
    ->wp-content
    ->themes
    ->encounters (upload the new style.css file here)

Sushil Adhikari

With any updated version of Encounters, you would overwrite the parent theme’s folder and files, but “NOT” the child theme. Then anything you want to edit, you would copy that part from the parent theme’s style.css and paste it into the child theme’s style.css, then make your changes there. You only need to copy over what you are changing, the rest can stay in the parent theme.

Sorry to hear about the problem you encountered yesterday…were you able to revert back to what it was?

How do you revert back to what it was? I’m not sure how to do this. Actually, it was my Russian version of my website that got screwed up but I had not done too much work on it so re-doing it will not take too long.

So working with the child theme, I would make changes to the parent theme’s folder and files and then just copy those changes into the child’s theme style.css? Do I understand the process right?

Thanks,
    Sarah

Sushil Adhikari

Always best to copy over what files you will be modifying into the child theme first, then make your changes there. I know a few who have done it similar to what you have done by making the changes in the parent theme, then porting it over, only to discover something was missed.

I’m understanding that you need to revert back to a previous version? If you have a theme membership, you can go to the downloads area and download the previous version(s). If you just have the individual purchased theme, I can send you the version you need…do you remember what it was?

Thanks Andre, no I don’t need to revert back to a previous version of Encounters.

The problem is that I deleted the child theme and now my changes are lost.

Sushil Adhikari

ah… yes, that would definitely lose your changes. You may want to look at getting a backup plugin in case you ever had to restore your site.

Everything’s fine. I re-installed the Child Theme and all my changes that I had done were there. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.