Comment box

This topic contains 17 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  emilia manda 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

emilia manda

Hi. Don’t know what’s going on but the comment box disappeared from all my posts. I have them in pages though. Why not in posts? Everything is checked all over, but the boxes are not showing. This is what you can see instead of boxes”
    Published: September 23, 2013 Permalink’ if you click permalink, the boxes come up but i don’t want this. The visitor cannot possibly know he has to click on “permalink” to be able to write a comment. Oh and the “like” facebook box is gone too

Sushil Adhikari

do you have a link to your site? Also, at what point did the comment box disappear and did it show before?

emilia manda

Ye, the comment boxes were showing before and I’m not sure when they disappeared. It was either after i created the categories or after i changed the front page. The link is http://beautyover40.com and if you open a post page just scroll to the end of page where you will only see this
    Published: September 26, 2013 Permalink
    Thank you

Sushil Adhikari

You have some wacky things happening in your site… unfortunately you will need to try and backtrack what you did from the point of when they were working. But I see your home page with no post/page content but I see comments there (not sure if this is what you wanted), but I also noticed that if I click on any of the “Recent posts” from the widget, I get a totally blank page. So you have something wrong somewhere. I would also recommend changing your permalinks to the default setting and see what happens.

emilia manda

OMG i didn’t notice the blank pages. Why? And how can i fix that? I did change the permalinks to default and nothing happened. I also deleted the home page and i put back what was before as a home page and now i don’t know what to do next. I think everything changed after i added the categories and after i created the boxes for the what i wanted to be first page. What am i gonna do now? Can i pay you to fix the site for me? Or should i delete everything and start over? I really don’t know what to do

Sushil Adhikari

Something obviously changed then, so what I would suggest is to reverse what you have done to the point when things were working. Then start redoing what you were trying to do and see if that helps…I don’t believe you have to start over though.

emilia manda

You can kill me and i can’t remember what, when and how i did. So no way to reverse step by step. I think i found a solution though. I created pages for all my posts and when i did this the blank white page disappeared. Now you can click on the posts. Only 2 of them i couldn’t fix, they still wouldn’t appear so i deleted them from the posts but i left their pages (weight management and Hot flushes-menopause). Then all the “pages-posts” i put them in a drop-down menu under “total care” (i will have to write something in the total care page but for now it’s empty). Is that ok? Can you please check the site again? And by the way, how can i change the size of the fonts? For the content (body)?

Sushil Adhikari

Technically you don’t create pages for posts because posts are part of the “blog”. So if you created two pages, one for your front page of your site and another for your blog posts (then assigned from the Reading Settings in your admin, then all posts will show on that page you created for the blog.

For the font size, this styling is found in the theme’s style.css file around line 224 and looks like this:

#content-wrapper {
    	padding:30px 0 50px;
    	background-color:#fff;
    	border-bottom:7px solid #bf7b7b;
    	font-size: 12px;
    	font-size: 0.750rem;
    	line-height: 22px;
    	line-height: 1.375rem;
    	color:#787b7f;
    }

If you change this, delete the font-size line that has 0.75rem and just use (and change) the font-size: 12px; part to the size you want.

By the way, your recent posts list now works for me.

emilia manda

I changed the font but a lot of things are messed up. The captcha is not there anymore, the search box doesn’t work, the facebook like it’s not there and so on. God only knows what i did but I am lost. Totally. Do you think that changing the theme will solve the problems?

Sushil Adhikari

Somewhere along the way something didn’t go right…normally the ideal solution is to reverse what was done and to go back to the point everything was working 100%. Don’t feel bad because sometimes this happens…in fact I had to recode a lot of things for my latest theme because I was trying something new but didn’t quite work out.

Anyway, you have a few options, and one is to try another theme and see if you run into the same issues, and if it does, then you know it’s either a third party plugin being used or something missed or done in error with content. However, if another theme displays everything correctly (although in a different style), then it could be related to the theme.

Your other option is to start from the beginning, rebuild the site on a development location, and as you go along with adding content, plugins, etc., check the front of the site and when it looks good, then move on to the next step, and so on. This way if something goes wrong right after you add something, then you know it’s related to what was just done and easier to track down and find a fix.

Sometimes we just have to or that it’s just better to start over…and I’ve done that many times.

As a side note, if there is a theme tutorial that you feel is missing on how to use or setup a feature, please let me know and I will look into the possibility of adding it to the theme setup videos. Basically anything that will help everyone out more.

emilia manda

Thanks a lot, I’m going to try another theme now and see what’s happening. You have no idea how aggravated i am, i even quit my job to be able to work at this site and now everything crumbled. Unbelievable. And I’m sure it’s my fault only. Ok, i will try what you said and hopefully i’ll be back on track

emilia manda

I would like to download Luminescence, is this included in the $69 i paid already? And if yes, how can i download?

Sushil Adhikari

Yes….all themes are accessible with the theme membership.

You may want to stay with the theme you’ve been building up. If you begin again, just start with a fresh install of WordPress, install the theme (the latest version of course). Then get the core foundation of your site in place such as pages, your static front page and another page for the blog, then your main menu. At this point, test the site out in the front-end and see how things look, including the “Hello World” post and see if the comments show for that. Then continue on with the development such as redoing your colours and any other option settings you did before, test the front-end once again. Then move on to adding plugins, and test each one as you install it until you get all of them installed.

As a side note, making websites is not really an easy thing to do, and does take some time. One thing I learned in the past is not to rush a website, as well, always expect the unexpected. Estimating time to do a website, always at least double the time you think it will take. So if you feel it would take 1 week, it will normally become 2 weeks. One of the reasons it takes anywhere from 1 to 2 months to make a theme.

emilia manda

Oh you are doing a great job with tutorials, i really don’t know what else you can include there.
    I am not gonna change my theme but you know what i don’t understand? What chooses the blog page? As i told you, in order to see the posts i had to create double pages and you were right, the one which is the blog is showing everything there. But how do you know (before even you put any content) which one will be the blog? I don’t get it. And can i get rid of the blog page? Or it’s a must to have it?

Sushil Adhikari

Part of the function of WordPress will detect the page you create and assign from the Settings >> Reading options in WordPress. So if you are creating a static front page and a blog page, then set both of these from the Settings >> Reading options, WordPress will send all blog posts to that page you created and assigned. Then with your menu, make sure you have a custom menu created and then add the static front page you made, plus the other page to the menu. When I make those two pages, I will normally call the one I did for the blog as “Blog”. Also, note that when you create the page for the blog, you simply title the page “blog” and thats it, no content needed and no page template needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.