Featured image in post

Home Forums WordPress Themes – Premium Encounters Featured image in post

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Michelle

We are using encounters, and have recent post plus set, and it displays the featured inmage in our blog summary page and in recents post plus sidebar, however when you click on the blog post and go through to it, the featured image doesn’t show.

I found this thread > https://www.styledthemes.com/forum?view=topic&catid=11&id=207#970 < and it looks as if something may have been removed from the script to prevent this from happening, and I just wondered if you could advise how I could get this feature working, as we would like the featured image to show in the recents post plus, on the blog summary page and also within the post. Thank you.

Sushil Adhikari

Hi Michele….yes, you are correct that the code was removed because I had a lot of customers in the past to not have that there so they can insert their own image, different from the intro image (featured image). To add the featured image in the full post view, the code would have to be edited slightly in the theme’s content.php file.

I would recommend using the child theme then for this but I can provide a tutorial here for the featured image to show up…fairly easy to do actually. Let me know if you still want this and I will write one out for this thread.

Michelle

We definitely do, I’ve been trying to figure out a way to do it but have very limited knowledge of php (copy and pasting I can just about cope with). I have the child theme installed as well as the parent.

We are also having a problem with the right hand column page template as the right hand columns are going down below the content, it only happens on pages, and only when selecting page with the right column. I wondered if you could advise?

Thank you so much.

Sushil Adhikari

First, I will write out a tutorial for getting the featured image to show in the full post view (which I will do shortly), then for the other item on your list, best to provide a link first so I can see what you are referring to.

Sushil Adhikari

Tutorial to Add Featured Image to Full Post View:

Copy the parent theme’s content.php file to the child theme (or upload to the child theme where the style.css is located.

Then open the copied file and look for this batch of code:

'alignnone'));
    				break;
    				case "small" : 
    					the_post_thumbnail('', array('class' => 'alignleft'));
    				break;
    			} 
    		endif; ?>

Remove this code:

Then remove the last endif:

Your featured image will now show in the full post view.

Michelle

Thank you very much.
    Here is one of the pages we’re having problems. Most of the site is private at the moment, but have made this public. It works great in the default template with the columns at the right,(but has the usual comments box which we don’t want)

The current page layout we have selected is front page with right column, and as you can see, the right column is down the bottom.

Here’s the page: http://wordbohemia.co.uk/?page_id=51

Thank you again.

Sushil Adhikari

Found a bug ….my fault. If you open the Front Page with Right Column template file and look for this:

Change the span9 to span8

I will have to get this fixed right now and upload it as a new version for others. Thanks for pointing out the layout issue.

Michelle

Thank you very much.

Michelle

Thank you, the page layout is now fixed, I just have one more question (hopefully) re the image.

The only way I’ve been able to get the blog layout the same as the demo is to resize our image in photoshop before uploading. If I upload a full sized image it seems to ignore what size I have in the settings >media and show its full size in the blog post(s) page.

What we’re trying to achieve is a small image in the blog post page, (with continue reading), and then when someone clicks through, the full sized featured image would show on the actual blog post, and I wondered if this was possible?

Thanks again.

Sushil Adhikari

Hi Michelle….longgggggg day today and about to crash for the night so I flagged this post to follow up tomorrow first thing when my mind and eyes are wide awake :woohoo:

Michelle

That’s ok, I really appreciate your help, the support for this template is absolutely brilliant :woohoo:

Just came here to add that I also have the preference template (for a personal website), and that the post images upload to the set media size on the blog page, without the need for resizing, so really not sure what’s happening.

I shall await your expertise.

Sushil Adhikari

Good morning! You will have to explain a little more of what your image issue is as I’m not quite following what you are experiencing?

Michelle

Thank you for this. Here is the problem.

I have settings > media set up at 260×160 (thumbnail) and zero’d out the medium and large as advised in the video:

Under Theme options – basic settings – we have blog sidebar / archive sidebar / author sidebar all set on right column.

Intro image is set on small

Portfolio on 3 (although I don’t think we use this for anything)

Page width boxed (980)

I changed the content.php with the child theme (though not convinced it worked as I also changed it on the parent content.php to get it to work) so that the featured image now shows in the actual post and not just on the blog page.

I also have a site with preference, and when I upload an image it is automatically autosized to the settings > media size set, but on the encounters, when i upload an image of any size, it remains at it’s original size, so we have a big image on both the blog page and also the blog post.

I’m assuming it should work in that on the blog page the image would be thumbnailed, and a click through to the post would be the original image size.

I’m also needing to get the ‘continue reading’ / ‘read more’ to work, it seems to be in the content.php but during a long post it doesn’t cut off.

So in a nutshell, we’d like;

Small blog page image (as in your demo)
    Continue reading after so many characters
    original sized image in actual blog post

Sorry if this comes across as confusing.

Thank you in advance,

Sushil Adhikari

A bit confusing… lol, but no worries. I think this one I need to log into your site with the image issue (Encounters site I believe?) and I will take a look. If possible, please “email” me your login details. Also, I hope you don’t mind if I test the image with one of my own? I will delete it after.

Michelle

I’ve emailed the details, thank you, and no we don’t mind if you need to test an image.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.