Greek Font not showing

Home Forums WordPress Themes – Premium Preference Greek Font not showing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ttm
    Participant

Hi,
    I published an article which contains a Greek word in Greek font. The problem is it is not showing correctly and remains broken. Can you suggest a way? Thank you.

Sushil Adhikari

hmmm… depends on the font being used because not all font types will display certain characters where others might. This is more of a font issue, so if there is a specific character(s) that are part of a word, you will want to make sure that font can support it. What and where does this Greek word show up that is not displaying properly?

ttm
    Participant

The word is [Ψυχή] in Greek and it appears as [????] when I use Arial as font and other available fonts too. It shows perfectly ok in the PDF version, but the html version shows only ? marks.

Sushil Adhikari

Can you show me the page (link) and I will see what happens when I duplicate your page in my test site with Preference. You said you changed the font to Arial?

ttm
    Participant

Here it is please: http://rupkatha.com/psyche-and-hester-2/
    Look at the footnote of Page 11 (manually marked page number)
    Thanks

ttm
    Participant

Please also visit http://rupkatha.com and see how I have customized it. All credits to you!

Sushil Adhikari

Thanks for the link… it appears you have some kind of scripting to hide the source code, so it was very hard to dig into the code but unable to really find much. However, the theme’s style.css is using this:

html {
    	font-size: 100%;
    	font-family: "PT Sans", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    	color:#747474;
    }

PT Sans is the font being used, then if that is not available on the user’s computer, then it goes to Arial, then for anyone on a MAC, it will then use Helvetica…

This is where you might want to test the different fonts. I’m not sure if PT Sans supports Greek characters or not, but Arial should (I think). Fonts and what they can and cannot display is up to the font being used, so you will want to make sure whatever you choose, to ensure a compatible font is used. Still, Arial should work. Perhaps it might have something to do with your translation plugin (scripts) or something else? Disable any translation or language plugins you might have and see what happens?

ttm
    Participant

I used Arial but that didn’t work. I will disable the transliteration plugin and let you know what happens. Best

ttm
    Participant

Disabling the Translator plugin is not working out any solution. Anyway, I will seek other solution. Thanks for your help. Best

Sushil Adhikari

Sorry I cannot be much more help on this… hopefully you will be able to find a solution. However, I just grabbed your PDF, copied that portion of text content, installed Preference on my local test site, then added it to a sample page. You might be interested in seeing this:

What this tells me is that there is something unique to your site’s setup that is perhaps conflicting with the displaying of your Greek characters, or perhaps if you copied this content from another source, perhaps that is causing the issues.
    greek_2014-03-27.jpg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ttm
    Participant

Thank you so much. I will look into the conflicting elements. Best

Sushil Adhikari

I just updated my last post to say perhaps it was the method of pasting that content into the page from whatever source you got that from? Either way, something has caused a conflict with the displaying of those characters.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.