Header widgets?

Home Forums Main Forum General Topics Header widgets?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sandy Sailer

Do any of your themes have header widgets? I have a client who would like a 3 column header format. Example, column 1: logo, column 2: login & contact links, column3: social media icons. I know the themes have a ton of widgets available, but do any of them have header widgets? I hope I’m making sense. Thank you! 🙂

Sushil Adhikari

No worries, it made total sense. Anyway, the bad news is no…the good news is (well sort of), is that if you wanted to do that, you would need to customize the header.php file by using the child theme method (so you can keep getting theme updates and not lose your custom changes). However, more bad news is that if you wanted the extra 3rd column as a widget position, this gets more in-depth and would require a lot more file modifications to add a new widget position. You could avoid doing a custom widget position by coding the login and contact links directly into the theme header.php file….providing you are comfortable in doing that.

Sandy Sailer

Ugh … I was hoping for another option. 🙂 Yes, I’ve customized header.php before, but only if I have to! I have not done custom widget positioning yet. I should use the child theme then? Do I just install the child theme that came with the theme and then active that one? Thanks.

Sandy Sailer

p.s. Could this be an option at some point? Wish list??? 😀

Sandy Sailer

One more question … if I WAS going to edit header.php, which theme would be the easiest to do what I’m describing? 🙂

Sushil Adhikari

Definitely use a child theme for any core theme file modifications. If you are not using one now and planning to use it, please note that all your theme option settings will have to be redone because WP will see the child theme activation as a new theme activation.

I know, there is always a caveat, lol 🙂

As for your “Wish List”, all I will say is….we’ll see.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.