How to insert top 5/6/7/8 like top 1/2/3/4

Home Forums Main Forum General Topics How to insert top 5/6/7/8 like top 1/2/3/4

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jacky

Hi

I want to insert top 5/6/7/8 like top 1/2/3/4 in page widget only,can you help me how to do?

Thank you!

Jacky

Sushil Adhikari

Sorry, but I don’t quite understand what you mean by top 5/6/7/8 and 1/2/3/4.

jacky

OK,let me explain to you.

ever page (template of page widgets only) has top 1,top 2,top 3,top 4,bottom 1,bottom 2,bottom3,bottom 4,footer 1,footer 2,footer 3,footer4 and …..,so I want to add top 5/6/7/8 like top 1/2/3/4.
    Do you understand my mean about above? So can you tell me how to do it?

Thank you!

Jacky

Sushil Adhikari

Thanks… so to confirm, you want to add “more” widget positions to the Top 1, 2, 3, and 4, so that you will have:

Top 1
    Top 2
    Top 3…up to Top 8?

So basically you want 8 widget positions instead of 4 across?

jacky

Hi

yes,I want to add more top,It is best I can customize the top widget
    for example:
    row1:
    “top 1 top 2 top 3 top 4”
    row2:
    “top 5 top 6 top 7 top 8”
    more row:
    “more top”

Thank you!

Jacky

Sushil Adhikari

You could do that but it would again require you to do some custom coding to modify several theme files. You would basically be creating a new group of widgets below the Top group. If you need this, you will have to look at the way I did the coding in the theme files:

sidebar-top.php
    /inc/widgets.php

Then how the widget page templates call the widget positions into the template. I would also recommend you do this in a child theme.

jacky

I think that should edit below page coding:
    inc/Page-Widgets-Only.php

I created sidebar-secondtop.php that’s coding is copying of sidebar-top.php,then insert to below coding in Page-Widgets-Only.php:

above change is ok in my local computer,but same change is no ok in my server.

I don’t know why?
    can you tell me?

Thank you

Jacky

Sushil Adhikari

I honestly wish I could help you out and anyone else who wants to start making these kinds of custom changes…but support does not cover this. You will have to do this on your own or hire someone who would be able to do this for you because for what you are wanting to do, there are several files you have to modify, but the hard part is knowing how it’s done which is why if you make these kinds of changes, you should have some experience with this type of coding, or be able to see how the original code was done and be able to use it as a guide.

It looks like you only modified one file but there are the others that I mentioned…the important one is the /inc/widgets.php file.

Sushil Adhikari

One more thing that came to mind… although I have not tried this yet, but there are plugins called “Page Builders”. For example:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/siteorigin-panels/

Perhaps this might be better for you? It lets you create various types of layouts without doing any theme file coding such as you are trying to do.

jacky

Better!

Thank you very much!

Jacky

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.