Migrations

Home Forums Main Forum General Topics Migrations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dana LInn

Is there a secret to migrations ???? I have been pulling my hair out for most of today. I build on localhost on my machine and then migrate to hosting (aka prod).
    With the first site I lost my custom colors and some other settings. I have also lost my widgets in the right-sidebar. . Yuck…. I would bet its somewhere in the DB possibly serialized – nice.

I went to the second site and did what I did for the first site. Exported my localhost db , imported into new db on host, ran the 5 sql replacement statements – what a mess – pages gone. So – I tried using a migration plugin – still a mess. And – I am So very carefull. I have migrated other sites with no issues. Hm…. I sure hope I dont lose too much more hair – Why do I always seem to get the fun stuff ????? Any suggestions except to run away ???

Thanks – Dana

Sushil Adhikari

Don’t pull your hair out…been there done it myself in the past 🙂

Anyway, if this method you have done worked with previous projects of yours, try to duplicate what you’ve done before. It may also depend on how your live server is setup and MySQL as well. However, using a plugin to migrate can be easy or messy, depends on how good the plugin is, so you may want to find an alternative one. Make sure you keep your local site intact without changes until you get your live site up. I did a quick google search and people do experience problems doing this kind of migration, but see if this helps:

Local to Server

Also do a Google search with this phrase “migrate wordpress site from localhost to server” and check out the other tutorials to see if they work.

Note: I moved this topic to the General Topics category.

Dana LInn

Good Morning –

I was right about the serialization- widgets disappear when domain names change during a migration. They are stored in serialized arrays which stores the length of the domain name in the array. If the length changes and that length value is not updated – the array is invalid and the widgets – will not be displayed in site. Here is a good article which describes this http://www.themelab.com/why-wordpress-widgets-disappear/. At the moment I am getting ready to run the search and replace script from Interconnect. https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/.

Dana LInn

Just successfully migrated the site to a diff domain name – the trick is to use the interconnecit script. I did try some other plugins to do search and replace and they hosed my DB. Be sure and verify the htaccess because mine was pointing back to the site I had migrated from – fixed it to the new domain and wahoo – success I am happy camper for today until whatever else happens. :silly:

Sushil Adhikari

Good to hear…I bet others who go through this will benefit from your information here. 🙂

Ellen
    Participant

After several hours of pulling my hair out as well, I found a great plugin that does the entire job for you database and all — including changing the domain if you need to — All-in-One WP Migration. :woohoo: Just thought I would share in case anyone else has trouble.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.