Question related to navigation

Home Forums WordPress Themes – Premium Preference Question related to navigation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Valerie Mallder 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello Again,

How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. I still love your Preference theme 🙂

I would like to add some navigation links to the top of every page and every post that shows the path the user took to get to the page or post they are currently looking at. You have something very similar at the top of the pages of your Preference Theme Demo.

You have something like:

at the top of your pages where “Blog” is the name of the page/post that is being displayed.

I would like to add something similar. For instance, if you go to my website at pvda.gaitexpectations.com and select “Home” then “About Us”, I would like to display “Home->About Us” at the top of the About Us page. Similarly, if you select “Awards”, then “Awards Committee”, then “Breed Awards” I would like to display “Home->Awards Committee->Breed Awrds” at the top of the breed awards page.

However, I should tell you that I am using a combination of pages and posts for what might seem like an unconventional purpose and I don’t know if that makes it more complicated to do this or not. So I will explain a little bit about how I am using the pages and posts.

In the first case, of going from Home->About Us, Home is a static ‘front page’, and About Us is a ‘page’. (Even though Home is a static front page, I built my own front-page.php template file that shows the some latest posts on it.) In the second case, of going from “Home->Awards Committee->Breed Awards”. Home is a static front page, Awards Committee is a custom post type that, when displayed, behaves like a single post. It uses a template that I created that displays the “Awards Committee” post content, and then appends a list of posts to it whose category is “Awards Committee”. I hope that made sense.

Can you give me some hints as to how you implemented the navigation links at the top of your Preference Demo and let me know if you think I can do the same thing, or a similar thing, in my situation? Before I go down a rabbit hole trying to figure out how to do it, I thought I would ask you for advice before I potentially spend a lot of time on it.

Thanks so much!

Valerie

Sushil Adhikari

First, my apologies as I see I did not do a tutorial for this. The theme already has the “breadcrumbs” code in conjunction with installing a plugin called NavXT Breadcrumbs:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/breadcrumb-navxt/

Once you activate the plugin, the code in the header.php (which is where the breadcrumbs is) will detect it.

NavXT has over a million users of it, so it’s a good one to use an it’s the one being used on the demo site. By the way, nice job on your site.

Also, please post support questions relating to a specific theme to the appropriate theme category. You posted this in Suggestion Box. I just moved this topic to Preference.

Awesome! Glad to know there is a plugin I can use for this. I have heard the term “breadcrumbs” before but never really knew what it was referring to. It makes perfect sense now.

Sorry I posted in the wrong place.

Once again, thanks so much for your help!

Valerie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.