tables

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ron King
    Participant

Hi Andre,
    I’m trying to do a site with all of your themes, and now I’m working with Circumference. I’m having a terrible problem using tables. I use the TinyMCD plugin just like I have with the other three themes I’ve used so far. With Circumference the sizes and alignments I set in the edit mode totally disappear when I view the page in the browser. It ignores alignment instruction, sizes, and more I found all sorts of ways to work around it until I got to a more complicated page where I need much different cell sizes, because I’m mixing a lot of text with pictures. I spent much of yesterday and today trying to get it to work because I think I bother you to much with my problems, but I give up. I can’t get it to work.

Sushil Adhikari

I’m about to call it a night here, but can you give me a sample of a table you are trying to setup and I will try it on my end. I should mention that this theme has styles setup for “tables” which could be causing the problems. I cannot remember, are you using a child theme or the actual theme?

Ron King
    Participant

I’m using the Child Theme. Here where I get dumb again. What’s a styles setup? BTW, the is not the theme or site that you helped me with before.

Ron King
    Participant

When I started with WP, I was under the impression that a Theme was like a template, a certain look to start with, and then you looked for plugins for anything else you wanted to do. Then I found you. Am I missing the point of what your themes are all about?

Sushil Adhikari

A theme is a foundation, starting point that gives a base of layouts and styles…. a sort of framework that lets you build upon with content, plugins, and any custom changes a person does based on their specific needs.

Regarding your table question(s), send me an example table or even a link to where this is and I will check it out. The styles the theme has for tables could be interfering with your table attributes.

Ron King
    Participant

It sounds like I should be using your tables. I think I need to learn what styles are. http://www.katiekingsings.com/wordpress is where I’m working. The worst problem is on the CDs page. Same login information for the sites of mine you’ve looked at before.

Sushil Adhikari

Using table for content layout is so 1990’s :whistle: lol… tables are actually meant to display tabular data, things like spreadsheet style of content. However, if you still want to use tables, Circumference has these predefined table styles:

Table Styles

You may need to create your own styles or css styles to cancel out what the theme does. If you would like to see where the table styles are for this theme, they are found in the theme’s /css/ folder in the file bootstrap.min.css

You can locate the css styles for the tables, starting with line 48, then all the way down to line 671 that begins with:

table{max-width:100%;background-color:transparent;}

Most of the table styles in the bootstrap css file are based on table classes and not a generic overall style. To get the styles of the tables I have on the demo site, you have to add the classes to the

tag. However, the part that does alignment in your table cell’s, is done around line 2914 in the theme’s style.css file which starts with:

/* Tables */
    table td {
    	vertical-align: middle;
    }

Hate to say this, but if you want to use tables for layout of content, this is going to be a bit tough if you are not familiar with customizing with CSS and HTML, because you will probably need to do some adjustments for what you need. I would also suggest not using the class=”table” on your layout tables unless you want the styles associated with that class. I should also mention that when you use tables in a way that you are, your page(s) will no longer be fully responsive for mobile viewing.

An alternative for you if you need an inline column layout is to use inline columns:

Inline Column Demo

Tutorial: Columns

That might be an alternative because you can get a variety (more than what you see on the demo) of layouts, plus these inline columns are responsive too.

The other option is to use The Page Builder plugin such as the one from Site Origin. This theme has a page template that can be used for this but basically you can create all sorts of columns and layouts with a drag and drop method. You can see my introduction video about this here:

Page Builder Template

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.