Weird Menu Behavior in Preference
February 19, 2013 at 12:24 am #13632Steve WMember
I’m encountering strange behavior with creating the Primary Menu in Preference. If I have no other menus (footer, etc) then the primary menu appears where it’s supposed to be. If I then create a footer menu and set the theme’s footer menu to it, then the footer now appears where the primary menu is supposed to be. If I delete the footer menu then the primary menu re-appears in it’s place.
I’ve created menus using Word Press’ built in menu system for dozens of sites, so it’s doubtful that I”m doing something wrong. But you never know. Any clue what this could be?February 19, 2013 at 2:19 am #17584
Hi Steve….not sure what is happening, except to make sure that when making your menus that in the Locations that the appropriate menus are assigned to each the Primary, Footer, etc. I just tried it locally here and I was able to get my menus showing. If you still run into problems, you may need to email me your login and I can take a look at this because I’m unable to replicate what you are experiencing.February 20, 2013 at 3:28 am #17585RobertMember
Same issue here. I had a “top” menu and a “footer” menu. Could not get the “top” menu to show at the top, it always showed the “footer menu.” After reading this post, I deleted the “footer” menu and, sure enough, the top menu showed up where it’s supposed to. Of course, now I have no footer menu. Hmmm.
I went back and fiddled some more and found that I could get the “top” menu to show in the footer area, but the “footer” menu always shows in the top area. I inspected the CSS – just looking for a clue – and found “UL#menu-footer.menu” in my top menu, even when I have it set to use “top”
Any ideas?February 20, 2013 at 3:32 am #17586Steve WMember
Thank you Robert for your reply. I thought I was going crazy. I even went through all of the wordpress tables in phpmyadmin, making sure somehow the data hadn’t gotten mangled. Man, was that a chore. Just about to give up when I saw your comment. Actually tried it on a second site and got the same issue. So there’s definitely something with the code of the theme.
It would be great to get a fix or a hack for this right away. My site’s not useable without the primary menu.February 20, 2013 at 3:48 am #17587
I’m still not able to replicate what you both are experiencing. Best thing here is to email your login(s) and I will check this out as soon as you send it.February 20, 2013 at 4:10 am #17588
Actually I stand corrected… I just created the footer menu first, then the primary instead of the other way around. Sure enough, now what is happening here is happening for me. IT appears the solution is to create the primary menu first, then after, create the footer menu. This sequence worked for me. However, the issue that both of you have experienced and myself now is definitely an odd behaviour and I am going to have to look into this and see if it’s a WordPress issue or the theme (or both). I will double check the coding for the theme as well.February 20, 2013 at 4:51 am #17589
ok… follow up. I believe I found the bug and currently testing it now.February 21, 2013 at 3:32 am #17591RobertMember
I tried deleting both menus and then creating the Top menu first and then the Footer, but the same thing happened – as soon as i created the Footer menu, it appeared at the top.
So, I deleted them both again, tried a few other things, and what finally worked was creating a “1_top”, saving it, putting it in the Primary menu location and saving theme locations, and then creating “2_footer”, saving that, putting it in the Footer menu location and then saving theme locations. Don’t know what part of that made it work, but it works.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for a workaround. Hopefully you’ve found the bug and it won’t be an issue in future updates.February 21, 2013 at 4:09 am #13633
Hi Robert…. I’ve uploaded the fix, so you can re-download the theme. Please note that if you made any changed to the theme files, they will be overwritten once you replace the theme with the updated version. Just as I mentioned to Steve, let me know if you run into problems still…but the fix I did should work for you now. The Changelog.txt file in the theme files will provide info on what files were changed. The culprit was a single comma that was causing the problem in the code.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.