There are at least two popular methods of installing a theme into WordPress:
- Using the built-in Installer
- Manually uploading the theme
The first thing you will need to do is to download the theme to your desktop and then unzip the file “encounters-unzip-first.zip” because inside this is your actual theme file.
For most people, you won’t be using this method but is available as an alternative.
- Unzip the encounters-unzip-first.zip file to your desktop
- Open your FTP program
- Find the unzipped folder “encounters-unzip-first” and make sure the theme files are inside that and not a double folder named the same. If there is, then upload the folder that has the theme files showing in it.
- Go to your WordPress dashboard >> Appearance >> Themes >> Manage Themes tab
- Find the Encounters theme and click “Activate“
Using the Theme Installer
Using the theme installer that is part of WordPress is the better way because it’s easier and definitely faster.