There are at least two popular methods of installing a theme into WordPress:
- Using the built-in Installer
- Manually uploading the theme
The first thing you will need to do is to download the theme to your desktop and then unzip the file “preference-package.zip” because inside this is your actual theme file.
Using the Installer
Once you unzipped the package, you will need to log into your site’s admin area (dashboard as WordPress calls it).
- Go to Appearance >> Themes
- When on the themes page, clickon the “Install Themes” tab
- Click on the text link “Upload“, browse for the st_preference.zip and then click “Install Now“
- Once uploaded and it’s installed, click “Activate” and then you’re done!
For most people, you won’t be using this method but is available as an alternative.
- Unzip the preference-package.zip file to your desktop
- Open your FTP program
- Find the unzipped folder “preference-package” and make sure the theme files are inside that and not a double folder named the same. If there is, then upload the folder that has the theme files showing in it.
- Go to your WordPress dashboard >> Appearance >> Themes >> Manage Themes tab
- Find the Preference theme and click “Activate“
When you’ve activated your theme, you should see this in the admin area:
The front of your site should now look like this: