If you are experienced with WordPress, or know how to install themes, you can skip this tutorial. However, if you are new or a beginner, this tutorial is for you.
Before you install your theme, you will need to unzip the theme package first because inside that is your theme file you install: preferential-lite.zip
If you are Getting Errors After Installation
A common issue that can occur with users new to installing WordPress themes is a “Broken theme and/or stylesheets missing” error message being displayed when trying to upload or activate the theme. This error message does not mean that the theme you have purchased is broken, it simply means it has been uploaded incorrectly. Luckily, there is a very easy fix. Please follow the steps below to rectify this issue or watch the screencast.
- Download the theme package zip file, unless you still have this from the first download.
- Unzip the final zip file; you should now have a folder named: preferential-lite
- Browse the contents of this folder, you will see a “style.css” file. This is how you know you have found the theme folder.
- Using an FTP client, upload ONLY the theme folder to your “/wp-content/themes/” folder so that the “preferential-lite” theme folder will go into the “/themes/” folder.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel and activate the theme.
Optional: If you do not wish to manually upload the theme only folder to your “themes” folder, there is an option. You can upload the Preferential-lite.zip theme file using the WordPress theme installer.
Install Preferential Lite with the Installer
The most common method of installing a theme is to use the built-in installer that comes with WordPress.
- Download the theme zip file, unless you still have this from the first download.
- Log into your dashboard and go to Appearance >> Themes >> then click “Add New“
- Click on the text link “Upload“, then “Choose File” and browse your computer for preferential-lite.zip
- Click Install Now and then Activate your theme
Install Preferential Lite from Search
- Log into your dashboard and go to Appearance >> Themes >> Add New
- Search for “Preferential Lite” and once found, click to install and activate it
- Begin setting up your website